Monday 27 June 2011

Am I late? Things 1 & 2

Thing 1: completed. It just took me ages to decide which website to create my blog with. I follow blogs hosted by Wordpress and Blogger, so I first thought I’d try something else, and set my sights on Tumblr. I created my blog on Tumblr, wrote the first article, but then could not figure out whether non- registered-Tumblr-users could comment! I did not see the point of people having to register on Tumblr just to comment on my humble creation, so I deleted my Tumblr blog and decided to go somewhere else… Next step was Posterous: I did not like the design. Then Blogger: did you know you need a Google account to use Blogger? Google is already the search engine I use most, and my smartphone operates with Android… I didn’t want to go all-Google! So next I had a look at Wordpress. But Wordpress has you downloading their software… I thought: “Is there no dead simple, no-strings-attached platforms to create blogs out there, just like old times?” I have a friend whose blog is hosted by OverBlog, so I started creating mine with them. But I gave up because it looked too technical for me… Finally, I went back to Blogger. And I have to say, I am very happy with it!!!

Thing 2: in progress. I started with my colleague Anne’s blog: Information musings. It was easy to comment on, because I know her and she’s so nice!
Then I read a blog I had noticed a few weeks ago, because I know the author works in Newcastle too: louiselib. A quick look at random at some other blogs: Nouveau librarian and Adventures of a Welsh Librarian, on which I did not comment either. I did comment on Digressions of a Sponge for Knowledge, the blog of an American library student who was discussing the “information professional” title for librarians and on Snippets. That is all so far, but I do intend to have a look and comment on more! (especially if it is raining at the week-end!!)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Aude, Thanks for the comment! I seem to find that if I say I'm an "information professional", people give me a funny look (as if such a thing doesn't really exist), and I find that I have to follow it up with "...AKA librarian", then they have a good laugh.

    About your first post, I think curiosity is the spice of life really, and I think that's what makes awesome librarians. Good luck with the CPD23!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very impressed that you checked out all those blog sites before creating them! Gold star to you! I think you should write a piece in the informer about all the ins and outs of which blog creation site to use!

    ReplyDelete