Why do I bother writing about it? Because for the last two years I was a member of the Career Development Group North-Eastern division (CDG NE) committee - I was even the secretary for the last year and a half. I'm not qualified to tell you about the history of the group; I just want to say something as I feel it brought me a lot.
Two years ago, I chose to join a group committee because I wanted to gain some new skills to have a better chance of evolving in my career. I chose CDG NE because it seemed so active and so welcoming. I wasn't disappointed! I met a really nice bunch of people: some new like me, some with a lot of experience on the committee but all enthusiastic about libraries and helping people in the profession. On the committee I got to do things I did not have the opportunity to do in my post at the time. The highlight for me was helping out with the Marketing Libraries training: I assisted the organiser on the day and got to attend a great event!
I don't think I'd be lying if I said my involvement with CDG NE helped me get the job I'm in today. It showed my commitment to the profession, but also proved that I had the experience and skills needed to make the jump from a library assistant to a professional librarian post.
Yes I'm shamelessly plugging our Facebook page!
And now I'm chair of the new CILIP North East Member Network. Argh! What do I do now?!
Well I'd like us - the new merged committee - to keep things that, in my opinion, worked in CDG NE, for example:
- motivated and enthusiastic committee members;
- friendly and welcoming ways of working within the committee, opportunities to gain new skills;
- a wide range of events: training days, library visits and CILIP qualifications support, but also socials.
And I'd like us to improve things such as:
- better communication: using a monthly news mailing, social media;
- transparency: giving more insight to members into the activities of the committee, making meeting minutes public;
- more collaboration with the CILIP Special Interests Groups locally and the neighbouring Regional Member Networks;
- more interaction with members who are not on the committee - we want everyone to feel involved within CILIP North East!
I hope we will be able to create/re-create/maintain a great library and information community in the region and encourage members to get involved.
Shall we talk about all this again in a year's time?!